Sunday, June 10, 2012

Project updates (or, trading a few milligrams of epidermis for a few milligrams of reflowed solder)

Due to travel (and actual, legitimate research), I've not been able to progress on these projects much in the last few weeks.  Additionally, getting the boards from Seeed took a little while (though it was worth it, 10 boards for 15$ is nothing to sneeze at; they're shown immediately below).


Today, I got back into things by trying out a little hot skillet reflow.  Going off of resources at SparkFun and this instructable, it seemed the cheapest method available to me.  To apply the paste, I didn't have the time, money or patience to do solder paste stencilling (shown in the previous links); so, I applied the paste manually, as at this site.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the paste formulations are different between stencil and syringe application; I loaded some stencil paste from Sparkfun (here) into a syringe and it was very tough to get it to come out.

One thing to be aware of with the stencil-type solder paste: it behaves a lot more like wet sand than any sort of easily-coaxed gel.  Syringe-type paste might behave a little better/differently.

In any event, I was able to reflow the majority of the components on the (hastily thrown together) helmet flasher board, shown below (apologies for the poor picture quality).  I have seen heating-element control boards for toaster ovens and skillets to get the perfect heat profile; in my case, cranking the thing up to max temp and waiting for the solder to turn shiny sufficed.  Note the blue wire fix; I forgot to connect the enable line for the step-up to a free pin on the controller.



Debugging revealed only two small errors in the reflow; two of the pins on the stepup controller were bridged (easily separated) and one of the resistors in the current controller didn't reflow (also easily rectified).  The step-up produces 'high voltage' (16.5V), the pots have all been manually set (one to set the high voltage level, the other two to set the maximum constant-current levels) and the controller talks to my programmer.

The next steps for this quick project are A) create a simple program for this thing, and B) assemble the in-helmet parts of the project (lights, switches and 2xAA battery pack installed, wiring routed).  There's also the more pie-in-the-sky goal of implementing the EL drivers (but I haven't quite sourced the transformers yet; not enough of my CFL bulbs have gone out yet).

Of course, just because the project has barely started doesn't mean I'm not already thinking about version 2; specifically, I'd want to implement the following changes:
A: source smaller components, with specs sized more appropriately for this project.
B: add a LiPolymer battery and charger circuit to allow the controller module to be more monolithic and allow it to be charged over micro USB.
C: figure out a better connector solution between the helmet and the controller; the 0.1" headers I'm using were chosen for inventory convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment